Friday, October 15, 2010

Japanese: Numbers 1 - 10

At the moment I'm currently self-teaching myself Japanese. Why self teaching? Because I am too damn cheap to take a class or buy Rosetta Stone. So I went to walmart and bought a notebook, (one I could afford), then went online to find any type of free lessons or any information I could get my hands on. So, now in my spare time, I learn Japanese!!!

I've actually learned an okay amount. I still have no idea what they're saying when I watch anime or my Jdramas but I do pick up on a few words they say. I have indeed impressed myself, lol. When I do watch anime or Jdrama I keep my notebook nearby and jot down words that catch my eye, or learn by comparing the speech with the subtitles. I have learned alot that way actually.

One thing that was fairly easy for me was learning the numbers. I started with 1-10 first. I recited them to myself, and went online and found some catchy songs that people used to help them remember, but eventually I picked up my own little pattern to learn it. This is how I learned my numbers.


1 - ichi
Sounds like 'itchy' right?


2 - ni
Sounds like 'knee', so I remember 'itchy knee', lol

3 - san
Because of  'Onii-san', after hearing 'ni' I immediately know 'san' follows



4 - shi/yo
I just have this one memorized. I know yo is more commonly used not sure why but it seems that way.
This may sound confusing but I remember "shi" b/c it sounds like "she" and its right after "ni san"
In my head, I could here an anime girl say "Onii-san", and shes a female so 4 is "she" lol you follow that?
LOL, stupid I know.


5 - go
No help for this one just memorized it, lol


6 - roku
This one also has a stupid explanation like I did w/ 4.
I knew "nana" meant 7 b/c of the manga its been engraved in my mind.
Nana always rocked out w/ her band, her style is rock and what does "roku" similar to?
ROCK
and it helps that 6 is right before 7 so Nana Rocks aka Rock Nana aka
Roku Nana



7 - nana
I read the manga 'Nana' and learnt that it meant '7'




8 - hachi
Also from reading the manga 'Nana', Nana gives the other Nana the nickname Hachi b/c she has puppy like qualities (You know the story abt Hachiko the dog right?) and b/c it means '8'.



9 - kyu
I remember 'kyu' is 9 b/c of Naruto.
You know the 9-tails fox which is called Kyuubi

 Look at that I even numbered them for you


10 - jyu
Easy, rhymes w/ "kyu" lol



Well I hope this helps, if not, you've still got a peep into my warped mind.
Comment the techniques you used to memorize these numbers. Maybe yours might be more comprehensible than mine lol.

Mata Ne!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Huh?! What did you say??