Sunday, April 29, 2012

Recent Literature 2: Manga

*My Thoughts may contain some spoilers, read at your own discretion*



SOIL

Synopsis:

Something strange is going on in "Soil New Town." The sudden disappearance of a seemingly normal family leads the two detectives Yokoi and Onoda to the idyllic town in the middle of nowhere. What looks like a routine case at first quickly turns into a complex and deadly riddle where nothing is what it seems to be. Will the two disparate investigators manage to solve the mystery before it's too late?


Thoughts:

A perfect town, a perfect family; a black out that led to this family’s disappearance. A mystery that is centered on the question:

 What exactly happened to the Suzushiro family?

Searching for a good psychological/mystery manga, I stumbled upon this and I’m so grateful I did. What seems to be a simple question leads to a door of labyrinthine events and secrets about this perfect town, “New Soil Town”. The more I read, the more questions I have with very few being answered. I am so addicted to this manga, I freak at every chapter update. I just NEED to know what the hell is going on. This manga is not for everyone. You need to have a certain type of mindset to even begin to comprehend its complexity. If you are impatient, easily confused and prefer things to get straight to the point, you may find this manga difficult to enjoy.
This manga contains unexplained events, child cults, a suspicious nurse, a town dentist/town mayor that molests his male patients while they are sedated and random pillars of salt…..and this is not even a quarter of the mysteries this town holds.
Along with its many complexities another thing I enjoy about the manga is the art. Its crisp thick lines made me think it was American. Its very simple and precise, and I enjoy seeing a different art style versus the typical. To me some panels are a little difficult to see if there is too much going on in the scene, but I do appreciate the realistic drawing approach. Everyone is not cute with sparkling huge eyes and long flowing hair.
If you think you have the mindset for this type of manga, please give it a try. If not, still give it a try, you never know. I cant wait for the next chapter update.






TOUGH

Synopsis:

This is a mixed martial arts fighting manga about the Miyazawa school of martial arts. Initially, it is about Kiichi trying to heal his father after he was nearly killed by his brother Kiryu. But then it goes on to be less about that as his father recovers and some tournament style fighting begins. At that point various apparently overwhelming opponents will encounter Kiichi on his way to the top. The objectives of the various characters start to play a more and more important role, as well as the different philosophical projections of several martial arts and disciplines.

Thoughts:

If you are a fan of mixed martial arts or any type of fighting manga this would be a good manga for you. It is pretty simple and straight forward. There is no intense plot that requires excessive thinking, the manga does a good job of keeping its focus mainly on fighting. Every fight scene is intense and the artwork does a damn good job in portraying it. Every character brings its own set of skills and disciplines to the table, keeping the battles very captivating. We watch our main character Kiichi become stronger as he encounters various components, hoping he will become as skilled as his father. Behind the scenes of all these tournaments are yakuza that are secretly pulling strings, gambling large amounts of money on competitors and killing people off.
There is only one thing that bugged me about this manga. Kiichi enters the Hyper Battle Japanese Elimination Match. The match takes place in the mountains and lasts 24 hours. Withing this time frame Kiichi fights so many people to the brink of exhaustion but yet wins every match. Yes, Kiichi is a bad ass, but towards the end he becomes very fatigue to the point where he almost passes out, but is still able to fight AND beat opponents who are skilled and more energized. I think sometimes its okay for main characters to lose. It encourages character development and growth.
Anyway, aside from that it is still a very enjoyable manga.






KUROSAGI

Synopsis:

White swindlers (shirosagi) are those that cheat people to take their money, red swindlers (akasagi) are those that swindle the opposite sex, and black swindlers (kurosagi) are those that cheat the white and red swindlers. After his family is swindled by white swindlers, Kurosagi sets out to avenge them by becoming a black swindler.




Thoughts:

I discovered this manga in 2009 but the inconsistent updates forced me to somewhat neglect it. It wasn't until this year, that the updates have been more frequent and now I could fully enjoy this manga.
Some of you may have already watched the live action drama adaption of this manga, starring the yummy Yamapai.
The manga is very simple, but does keep my attention. Every case is typically 3 chapters and then proceeds to a new case. Some cases bore me half to death and others have my heart racing anticipating his next move. There is a good balance between both. I'm not sure what direction this manga is heading. I know there is a deeper storyline behind all the cases I just wish they will hurry and get to it.






KIMI NO KNIFE

Synopsis:

"If you can get 5 million yen for killing a person, what would you do?" A beautiful woman asks Shiki, a part-time lecturer that question on their first meeting. Shiki answers "If it's an evil person...", mistaking this for a joke. But then the woman points out the target...

Thoughts:

Another random manga that I stumbled up, but the synopsis is what really made me compelled to read. I wish this manga was updated more often because I really like it.
As the synopsis says you get money to kill bad people, or people that woman perceives as bad. As the manga continues I know a bigger story will unfold and I cant wait. It keeps getting more interesting. Overall the manga seems pretty realistic, I can see people taking these odd jobs for pay in our world. I really appreciated the realism of it but there was one thing that spoiled that for me. During the first job, a little girl named Itsuki was found locked in a room and lo and behold she has supernatural senses. She could sense who you are without any former information. Though, she was introduced pretty early on it still kind of was a let down for me. When I first discovered this I let out a sigh "ohhh really?", but it wasn't enough to discourage me from reading. Since being found, you would think she would have an essential role in all this but so far nothing. Maybe this will change as the manga progresses.
The journey so far has been very intriguing and I'm eager to find out what the hell is really going on behind the scenes. This is a good read.




*Sources: MangaReader

No comments:

Post a Comment

Huh?! What did you say??