Monday, April 19, 2010

ANIME GEEK

I'm a Geek.
More specifically,

I'm an ANIME GEEK

I love anime; something about those wide eye Japanese cartoons gets to me. I don’t just love anime, I love manga. The unusual (or at least what my culture would consider unusual) right to left reading style intrigues me. I love Asian drama, even the stereotypical ones. To sum it all up I love the Asian culture. I am by no means Asian. Not even remotely close, but I'm fascinated w/ everything that comes w/ it.

The good thing is I know I'm not alone.
There are ALOT of us out there, you know who you are. Some are easy to spot. Let's call them the

"THE FLASHERS"

They walk around w/ their Naruto headbands and anime wristbands and keychains for the world to see.  You see them at the bus stop w/ their anime backpacks, reading a manga as they wait patiently for the bus.

Then there are the ones that are hard to spot, like me

"THE NORMIES"

We look 'normal' or at least what society would consider normal.  We're the ones that probably own the backpack, Naruto headband and all sorts of things but never really flaunt them. We're the ones that sit on the bus and watch "the flasher" read his/her manga. We'll watch, get all excited and eventually we'll quietly ask:

"Is that Ruroni Kenshin your reading?"

We then get the shocked expression, followed by a smile and the response

"Yea,... you read manga?"

Then the beautiful friendship forms. Whether or not we see each other again that moment is 
Always Priceless.

Then there are 

"THE POSERS"

You know, the ones that think they know EVERYTHING about anime because they've seen a few english dubbed episodes of Naruto on Cartoon Network. Better yet they have a friend that's into it so they assume they know what its all about.

THEY DRIVE ME CRAZY!!!!!

Ok, so I know you have to start somewhere. I got into anime by watching English dubbed episodes of Dragon Ball, but I wasn't out there arguing w/ every Tom, Dick and Harry as if I knew what I was talking about. You don't have to try or force yourself to be into it. It's either you like or you don't. Just dont bash it.

For me after discovering DB, I then upgraded to the original Japanese versions w/ English subtitles.
Then I discovered more and more anime, which led to manga, till the day I stumbled upon a jdrama. Next thing I know I'm researching the Asian culture and slowly becoming obsessive.

We all know when we've crossed over and become an

ANIME GEEK

If you don't know here are a few hints.

You know you're an Anime Geek when:


You say things like this:  "Haha, this shit is faker than a genjutsu!"

You tend to laugh like this when your embarrassed or nervous

When you go to an anime convention you feel AT HOME.

You're slightly aroused by anime fight scns like me LOL.

You've become way to cool to watch any English dubbed anime because you know better Lol.

You, AT LEAST ONCE, attempted to do Naruto's ninjutsu hand signals.



YOU DID NOT EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME WATCHING THE DBZ MOVIE


You could name at least one anime for every letter of the alphabet... ("Q" gave me a hard time, lol)

You know the following Japanese words: "Nande", "Itadakimasu", "onee-san", "onii-san", to name a few.

Whenever you play a game, whether its sports, cards or video games, you make every move dramatic.

You know about forums like Gaiaonline.com or Aftercon.com to name a few.

Tuesdays and Thursdays become very important b/c of the new episodes of Bleach and Naruto.

You go on youtube to watch epic battle scenes.

You envision yourself punching someone so hard they become nothing but twinkle in the sky.


You have intense discussions and debates about anime. ( Me and my dad do this allll the time...yes my dad is pretty cool)

You do this in every picture.


If something negative happens in an episode, like a death or a defeat in battle, it affects your WHOLE DAY, or even WEEK.


If any of the above sounds familiar to you then you know you are an anime geek.

Life Lesson:
Never be ashamed of who you are. If you love anime, manga or video games, then so what. Never let ANYONE make you feel bad for loving it. Any race could watch anime, it doesn't matter.
You love what you love.

So if you love anime as much as I do, then

OWN IT, LIVE IT, LOVE IT




No comments:

Post a Comment

Huh?! What did you say??